Start Learning Chinese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How did you start?

MFoogle2549
New in Town

How did you start?

Postby MFoogle2549 » June 23rd, 2010 12:35 am

I've been studying Japanese for about 5 years and Spanish for about 4 (but my Japanese is far better--I've focused more on that).
So I'm decently comfortable with both of them--I've gotten used to the Japanese writing system, and both of the languages are very easy to pronounce and spell.

I'm afraid I can't say the same for Mandarin, at the moment at least. Learning a language that's not so straightforward in pronunciation (and the pinyin is still difficult for me to understand) is totally alien to me, and I'm not exactly sure how to start studying in the most effective way. It really frustrates me when I have trouble pronouncing something.

And it's been so long since I started Japanese and Spanish (the latter was in school, so it was at an easy pace), I can't remember how I started or how I got better. I've only been studying Chinese for about 2 or 3 weeks right now, and I know this sounds crazy, but it's frustrating me that I still can't get the hang of it yet--when I think I do, I find some evidence later that what I thought was wrong. I still can only say incredibly basic sentences--"Hello, I am an American student" is the most complicated thing I can say at the moment.

So I'm wondering...of course besides listening to this podcast, what's the best way to learn vocabulary---besides survival phrases? I'd like to hear everyone else's opinions.
Also, if you can remember, how long did it take you before you got the hang of Mandarin?

vivianlj20093181
New in Town

Postby vivianlj20093181 » November 25th, 2010 8:53 am

Hi MFoogle, I started by learning Pinyin and the simple characters or high frequency words, try understanding them separately and then their phrases. I've got a convenient Chinese dictionary with me. I also spent lots of time in ChineseClass101,very interesting. Good luck!
Get 40% OFF

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Chinese”