Start Learning Chinese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

NYPD Training

irishwars
New in Town

NYPD Training

Postby irishwars » November 3rd, 2010 4:07 pm

Over the last few weeks, I have had a interesting time. I am a new york city police officer. I have been for the last 2 years. When I applied I checked that I could speak japanese (which I can). I actually use it alot, in speaking with restaurant owners and workers.

I was called in a few weeks ago and was asked about my chinese language ability. I told them I had none. I was asked if I would like to take chinese language courses starting in january to help boost up the chinese language proficiency in our precinct. I was told I was picked due to my japanese ability.

My question is, does japanese help me at all with spoken mandrain chinese? Plus is mandrain the right language to learn? I think alot of people in china town speak Cantonese. Regardless I am thinking about signing up. This could help my career :)

**This was not a formal request, my higher ups just wanted to know my interest level**

nauht
New in Town

Postby nauht » November 3rd, 2010 10:32 pm

If you kanji then obviously it will help with reading Chinese characters since kanji borrows from it. As for speaking it's entirely different. Maybe this discussion might shed some more light: http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanes ... darin.html
Get 40% OFF

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Chinese”