Start Learning Chinese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

help on memorizing characters

jerrygui_43804
New in Town

help on memorizing characters

Postby jerrygui_43804 » August 31st, 2016 1:15 am

im good at speaking and listening to Chinese, but i suck at reading and writing chinese. Anyone got any tips and tricks?

NekoTato
New in Town

Re: help on memorizing characters

Postby NekoTato » January 6th, 2018 1:47 am

It'll just take you a lot of practice writing out the characters (Hanzi) while memorizing the matching pinyin. Eventually you'll mentally picture it every time you say the word. Create yourself flash cards if you don't want to use the tools here on the site. I like using tools to compliment my learning process while using CC101.

This site lets you create your own worksheets. You can save the PDFs and print them on your own. https://www.purpleculture.net/chinese-practice-sheet/

This site has been helping me learn stroke order. They also have audio to help you memorize sound + reading/writing. http://stroke-order.learningweb.moe.edu.tw/character.do

After reading more about Zhuyin, I'm going to avoid using it myself. Very few characters from Zhuyin actually match Hanzi, so I'm just going to put more effort into learning actual Hanzi, a bit at a time. It might seem confusing and overwhelming without an alphabet, but overtime we'll learn that certain strokes may correlate with certain sounds. Instead of taking time to learn an alphabet, you're jumping right into learning reading & writing actual words, just in more of a picture form.

Learning with flash cards and hands-on experience by reading and writing will help you train your picture memory, so that you'll remember them in the future. Unlike pop culture's misconception, picture/photographic memory can be trained. Some people have a natural knack for it, others have to train harder. But you can do this! :D

Get 40% OFF
mr88cet_44048
New in Town

Re: help on memorizing characters

Postby mr88cet_44048 » March 10th, 2018 12:57 am

I understand and can relate!

My suggestions other than, as the other reply mentioned, a whole lot of practice, are:
- Practice writing (白纸!) too. Muscle memory really helps me!
- Learn the radicals (偏旁). That will bring the character down to a broad class of meanings. After that, on many characters, but far from all, the rest of the character will give you a hint about the pronunciation.

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Chinese”