Start Learning Chinese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Lesson Notes PDF's are blank?

firesenshi
New in Town

Lesson Notes PDF's are blank?

Postby firesenshi » March 5th, 2010 6:54 am

I've downloaded a few PDF's in a row several times, and now I'm over the trial limit so I can't try to download them again. When I downloaded the PDF's they keep showing up with pages, but they're totally blank. I'll see tables, the headers on the side, but there's no content at all. I'm considering a one month sub for now, but if I can't view the PDFs, isn't that kind of useless? I tried signing up with one other account, and the Audio blogs worked, but the rest aren't working.

What's my problem? Is it me or is it the PDFs?

david
Established Presence

Postby david » March 8th, 2010 6:23 am

Firesenshi,

Can you send us a copy of one of the PDFs? That would help to figure out what the problem is that you're having. You can email it to us at . It would also be useful to know what operating system and browser are you using.

Best,

--david

Join by May 6th
polmino
New in Town

It's not you it's the PDF

Postby polmino » March 9th, 2010 10:22 pm

Hi,
same problem on Ubuntu GNU Linux with Document Viewer.
When I open "Lesson Notes", only the page layout is visible, writing is blank.

On the other hand, "Lesson Notes Lite" is fine!

It looks like the font used without embedding in "Lesson Notes" is not present on my computer (the closest might be "DejaVu Sans", but when the come across an unknown font family some viewers don't know what to do).

emason
New in Town

PDF Problem

Postby emason » March 12th, 2010 12:11 am

I also have a similar issue - Lesson Notes are blank or a bunch of squares (as if it can read the Chinese characters) BUT the Lesson Notes Lite seemed to be fine. I am also considering a subscription.

Another question I have is when David talks about a "line by line" translation - which level of membership is that?

E

tyrinaniel
New in Town

Postby tyrinaniel » March 12th, 2010 9:53 pm

Hi, it's FireSenshi. I became very busy and didn't get a chance to reply.
I already sent an email, but here's the problem again, so you can see it here.

Here is one of the PDF files that showed up blank to me.
I see Tables and a Menu that show as if there's meant to be content
in the Beginner file, but there are no Chinese characters or
Romanization, just blank spaces.
I was on a connection that was pretty solid, I use FireFox
that has the proper updates, and with Korean Class 101
I didn't have problems, except for the Introduction files 1-3. The rest of the course seems to be fine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/ ... enshot.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/ ... nshot2.jpg

cwabbott
Site Admin

Postby cwabbott » March 15th, 2010 1:31 pm

Hello Everyone,

I want to clarify the differences between the two different PDFs.

The Lesson Notes and the Lesson Notes Lite PDFs are the exact same in content. However, they serve 2 separate purposes.

The Lesson Notes PDF is designed to support many advanced PDF options and will act more like a traditional PDF. Thus it supports copy / paste, screen reading software, and other soon-to-be utilized features. However, Adobe Reader is only officially supported and recommended for viewing the Lesson Notes PDF (however, preview on Mac 10.6.2 Snow Leopard should also display the font fine).

The Lesson Notes Lite PDF is designed to be read on any device regardless if Adobe Reader or the correct fonts are available. This PDF contains the exact same content but has a partially embedded font for the greatest compatibility, unfortunately this is at the cost of some other standard Adobe PDF features (no copy / paste, no screen reading software for the visually impaired, no index).

If you want to view the "Lesson Notes" PDF please try to download the newest version of Adobe Reader available for your operating system and any optional Asian font packs that Adobe provides free of charge on their website.

Charles

tyrinaniel
New in Town

Postby tyrinaniel » March 15th, 2010 8:27 pm

If that's the case, then why was I allowed to download the Audio Blog files that I tested and not the Absolute Beginner or Beginner files?

I downloaded the normal Lesson Notes and not Lesson Notes Lite. The Lesson Notes Lite for the AB and Beginner work fine, however. In the screen caps I posted, you can see how one is a totally blank template while the other is filled.

I already have the latest version of Adobe Reader, so I know this isn't a compatibility issue. I'm actually very software savvy; that was the first thing I checked. I've been using my AR frequently the last few days, and it hasn't asked for an update. But since the Lite notes are the same thing, I'll be fine with those.

Return to “Technical Support”