Start Learning Chinese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

PDF's to iPad?

JJBennett
New in Town

PDF's to iPad?

Postby JJBennett » January 29th, 2011 4:54 am

On my mac, all of the premium content, including PDF's are downloading to itunes. But when I sync to the ipad, no PDF's are transferred.

Is there a way to send PDF's to the iPad?

jane1000288416
Been Around a Bit

Postby jane1000288416 » February 11th, 2011 2:44 am

Hi JJBennett,
I am sorry about the late reply. Does the problem you mentioned stil exist? I am not sure if you have noticed there are two versions of the lesson notes on our website. One is the lesson note Lite which is speically designed for the Mac users. Did you download the right version?

Best,
Janel

Get 40% OFF
JJBennett
New in Town

Postby JJBennett » February 12th, 2011 8:28 pm

No - the problem isn't reading or downloading the PDF's on my mac.

I was trying to find a way to view the PDF's on my iPad. I download all of the premium content on my mac, then sync my iPad to that. I noticed the audio syncs just fine, but the PDF's don't transfer to the iPad.

I did find a way to save the pdf's to the iPad, although it is a slow process... Go to cc101's website, open each lesson, open the PDF. When open, the iPad shows a button that says "open in iBooks". When you hit that, the pdf is saved to ibooks.

This - unfortunately - is where I learned that the regular lesson notes don't work well (don't show all simplified characters) on apple products. I opened each lesson in two series, saved them to the ipad one at a time... and THEN found out I needed to save the lite notes instead.

jane1000288416
Been Around a Bit

Postby jane1000288416 » February 14th, 2011 2:38 am

Hi JJBennett,
I will forward your problem to the tech team see if they can figure out an easy way for you. Sorry to cause your so much inconvenience. I do aapreciate your determination.

Best,
Jane

bigal
Been Around a Bit

Postby bigal » April 10th, 2011 12:44 am

Its an itunes(Apple) problem.It doesn't put the pdf's into the podcast folder on iphones or ipad.

Fix for now is to manually transfer them over which is a pain/annoying.

Few different ways

1 Via their website as you are already doing. Means you have to download them again and use extra bandwidth
(not good if on 3G )

2.I use dropbox and manually copy the pdf's into a folder/s on my drop box account(from the itunes directory on my mac/pc) then open the dropbox app on my phone
and open the pdf in ibooks or good reader.Also good if you want to have the pdf's on another computer where you don't have itunes installed.

But its slow and annoying (even via wifi)but okay if you are adding one or two pdfs at a time.

Can also do it with one of the other similar apps like evernote or an ftp app depending on where you keep the pdf's

3.Using itunes

3.a. Using ibooks to read them

i.copy the pdf's you want into a separate folder (make sure they are lesson note lite versions)
as it makes it(for me) easier to manage/know what you have and haven't copied over.

The pdf lesson notes are usually in:
music -> itunes-> itunes music -> Podcasts -> ChineseClass101.com_feedname
(use finder to browse them)

ii:Now go to itunes
in itunes -> file menu -> add to library
browse to the directory/folder you put the pdf's in
select the pdf's you want click okay

iii:In itunes go to books and the pdf's should be listed there - note can take a few minutes depending on the number of pdf's

iv: synch
synch your ipad, plug it in, select it in itunes go to the books tab and select the pdf's you want or just let it copy them all over.

v:Then open ibooks on your ipad and they should appear under the pdf tab.
Then you can manually create a new category and move them to it.

3b using other apps to read the pdfs

i:Get the pdf's you want in a separate folder/s (makes it easier to manage)

Either a pdf reader app (good reader ?) or something like file app or a book program like stanza or borders
(I've tested with stanza and borders - both work but stanza is a bit slow )

ii:In itunes with your ipad plugged in select your ipad

iii:Go to the apps tab
scroll down to File sharing

iv: select the app you are going to use on ipad

v: on the right hand side select add, browse to the directory you put the pdf's, select the ones you want
click okay and they will get transfered to your ipad/iphone.

vi: open the app you used and the pdf's should be there.

Note they will only show up/appear in the app you use to transfer them over in - not in other apps as well

NBMake sure to use the Lesson note lite otherwise the simplified characters won't show properly!!!!!

hanzi practise sheets show up fine. lesson notes lite display fine - tested on my iphone.
My ipad2 is arriving sometime in the next two days , will be using that for the lesson notes instead of my iphone.

ps Jane is that you in the Absolute Beginners series 3 lessons ?
Is that an Australian accent I hear ?

Return to “Technical Support”