Start Learning Chinese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Where are the Dialogue Tracks in MyFeed?

RavinDave
Been Around a Bit

Where are the Dialogue Tracks in MyFeed?

Postby RavinDave » June 8th, 2009 5:58 pm

I thought this was a problem localized to RussianPod101, but I see I'm having the same problem here as well.

I tried to configure my MyFeed to essentially only pick up the short lesson Reviews and the abbreviated Dialogue tracks. I get the Reviews fine, but the Dialogue tracks (again, the short ones -- not the full-blown ones) aren't showing up to the party.

I know it must be a valid option, or you wouldn't have a checkbox by it.

jaredh
Been Around a Bit

Postby jaredh » June 9th, 2009 12:07 pm

RavinDave,

I do not know what level of lessons you are trying to download but many lessons do not have a dialog track. Unless I missed one, all the beginning lessons do not have a dialog track they only have a review track and of course the full audio track.
I am not sure why this site does not follow the other 101 language sites.

Join by May 6th
RavinDave
Been Around a Bit

Postby RavinDave » June 9th, 2009 1:57 pm

You are correct, that the vast majority do not provide Dialogue Tracks (ie: abbrevated versions of the main podcast), which leads one to wonder why it is offered as an option on the MyFeed to begin with.

Nontheless, there are a few -- One Elementary lesson and the Basic Bootcamp series (making for a grand total of (3) as far as I can tell).

Still, I should have gotten those one my feed. Oh, I'm not particularly anxious about it. More curious. And I'd like to be prepared when they start offering them in earnest (assuming they will).

tricycle222
New in Town

dialog tracks

Postby tricycle222 » July 1st, 2009 4:32 pm

The dialog tracks for beginner and elementary were not available before, but they are now showing up. I was getting error=500 for internal server error earlier for all but a few, but now the dialogs for the first 15 beginner lessons have shown up in MyFeed. I am guessing that the engineers are busy uploading them onto the site and they should all be available soon.

HTH, Tom

RavinDave
Been Around a Bit

Re: dialog tracks

Postby RavinDave » July 23rd, 2009 2:12 pm

tricycle222 wrote:The dialog tracks for beginner and elementary were not available before, but they are now showing up. I was getting error=500 for internal server error earlier for all but a few, but now the dialogs for the first 15 beginner lessons have shown up in MyFeed. I am guessing that the engineers are busy uploading them onto the site and they should all be available soon.

HTH, Tom

This is NOT my experience.

I'm still seeing the same EXACT same problem. Moreover, any attempts by me to edit or reset the MY FEED option results in a new DUPLICATE folder being created in my iTunes library -- even when I use the same ID.

All I'm looking for is REVIEWS and stripped-down DIALOGUES. All I'm getting are REVIEWS.

jaredh
Been Around a Bit

Postby jaredh » July 24th, 2009 4:28 am

I'm still seeing the same EXACT same problem. Moreover, any attempts by me to edit or reset the MY FEED option results in a new DUPLICATE folder being created in my iTunes library -- even when I use the same ID.

I am getting all the dialogs, reviews, audio, etc..

I do know that the myfeed can not be edited. if you want to make changes you have to setup a new feed Just using the same ID as used before will not update the feed.

I would suggest either deleting everything out of itunes and starting over or create a new feed with a new name and ask for all the items you want.

Hope it works for you because it is all good for me.

RavinDave
Been Around a Bit

Postby RavinDave » July 24th, 2009 6:10 am

If they think I'm gonna sit through a marathon session a re-downloading my current library, they are insane. I could go on, but I don't think the techs even bother reading this section.

For all practical purposes, ChineseClass101 DOES NOT HAVE a custom feed option.

Rob
New in Town

MyFeed issues

Postby Rob » July 24th, 2009 4:48 pm

Hey Dave,

Rob here, sorry for the trouble with MyFeed and for not getting to this post sooner. First, Jared's correct in the way that the feed must be deleted. However, it's not necessary to delete the files. If you right click the podcast and delete it you will be given an option as to whether or not you want to move the files into the trash. Because the feed is a unique xml once it's made it can't be changed, hence having to be deleted.

The disclaimer here is if you have in the past checked the "don't ask me again" box on the prompt as to whether or not you want to move the files to the trash, obviously you won't be prompted. In any case, fixing this should be as simple as dragging the files from the trash and dropping them into iTunes.

I'll have to get back to you about the dialogue tracks.

Thanks!

RavinDave
Been Around a Bit

Re: MyFeed issues

Postby RavinDave » July 25th, 2009 5:55 am

Rob wrote:If you right click the podcast and delete it you will be given an option as to whether or not you want to move the files into the trash. Because the feed is a unique xml once it's made it can't be changed, hence having to be deleted.

Okay ... so if I delete the feed, leave the folder, create a new feed with THE SAME ID -- that should work? Because if I use a different ID, it will simply create a new and different folder and I'll be forced to jump between the two.

That would be supremely annoying.

RavinDave
Been Around a Bit

Postby RavinDave » July 25th, 2009 1:52 pm

Guess it doesn't make any difference.

I tried it again -- completely from scratch.

Same result. Nothing but "REVIEW" lessons. None of the "DIALOGUE ONLY" lessons came through. Not one. None.

So, I trashed my database and wasted time and bandwidth for ... nothing.

RavinDave
Been Around a Bit

Postby RavinDave » July 26th, 2009 2:26 pm

It appears that the ONLY way you can get the stripped down dialogues in your feed ... IS TO SUBSCRIBE TO EVERYTHING.

How much sense does that make? How much of your bandwidth am I wasting by downloading full podcasts that are destined to be immediately deleted?

Here you guys are -- ready to embark on a brand new promotion (just announced a few hours ago on the main page) -- and yet you still have major bugs like this.

Rob
New in Town

WOOHOO!!!!!!!

Postby Rob » July 28th, 2009 9:22 pm

Good News All.........

Dialog tracks are in action for MyFeed 8)

If you don't want to delete your current feed, a nice work around is to just make a new, dialog only feed.

Thanks!

Return to “Technical Support”