Start Learning Chinese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Traditional character review

slile
New in Town

Traditional character review

Postby slile » May 29th, 2009 5:24 am

I replied to an older lesson with this and think it might be more appropriate here.

It'd be really awesome if the Hanzi Close Ups came in Traditional as well as Simplified (they look to be simplified now). As someone with a bit of familiarity with Japanese I think it'd a bit easier to learn the characters based off of the traditional version since you can get a bit of a better sense of what makes up the character. (e.g., in Japanese the fact that 語 contains 言 makes it easier to remember the former; 语 in simplified loses a bit of that.) Likewise, there's probably a bit of selfishness that as someone who knows a bit of Kanji from Japanese, I get the impression that learning Traditional first might help reinforce knowledge from the former (even if it's yet another pronunciation to remember ;P At least it's just *one* more :D )

多谢!

david
Established Presence

Postby david » June 4th, 2009 2:18 am

Thanks for the suggestion. We won't be able to implement this in the short term, but can keep it in mind as we continue to iterate the site. In the long-term we'll probably want to have full support for both traditional and simplified, and arrange it so that people can switch between them for everything.

Get 40% OFF
RavinDave
Been Around a Bit

Postby RavinDave » June 9th, 2009 4:07 pm

Check out ZDT at Sourceforge (it's free).

It has a Simp and Trad mode you can toggle between.

http://zdt.sourceforge.net/

Return to “Learn Chinese Feature Requests”