a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Less advertising!

zadacka
New in Town

Less advertising!

Postby zadacka » August 25th, 2009 7:27 am

Hello,

I am new to ChineseClass101, and am completely loving it! The one thing that spoils the lessons is the amount of advertising. Whilst the occasional prompt to visit the website is a good idea, constantly being told to sign up for a free subscription is annoying.

Would it be possible to take all of the podcasts that go to premium subscribers (that includes me) and stirp out the advertising? The same goes for the emails and the website. We know that we are getting extra features, and we love it! The reminders get frustrating quite quickly...

I'm happy to pay for the premium subscription, but expected that the ads would stop once I paid up!

Best,
Alex

P.S. Please keep up the good work!

lan_dawei
Established Presence

Postby lan_dawei » August 25th, 2009 1:03 pm

Alex,

If you want to get rid of the e-mails, you can go to your profile and check off the e-mails which you no longer wish to receive.

I am interested in...:
Daily Lesson Alerts
Exclusive Offers
Weekly Wrap-Up
Monthly Newsletter
General Announcements

I personally don't mind the advertisements because I would like to see others become premium subscribers along with me.
下次再见
蓝大卫
www.mychinaconnection.com

Get 40% OFF
zadacka
New in Town

Postby zadacka » August 25th, 2009 1:25 pm

If you are reading this and are not a member - don't be put off! The ChinesePod system is awesome, and this post is meant as a constructive suggestion, not a complaint!

Hi lan_dawie,

Thanks for the tip about the email settings!

The main thing that bothered me was the advertising in the lessons and banners on the website. It seems a bit messy that we keep getting subscription adverts. I guess that there will be less once I've gone through the introduction lessons and gotten further into the beginner stuff...

I completely agree with you - more people should join up to paid membership. The content is great, and well worth the fee. My comment was that it would be good if the podcasts were edited (once they stopped being available free from itunes) so that they encouraged new people to join up without plugging the site to paying members.

The website is the other thing - it seems crazy that premium members are still shown adverts for basic membership, and all of the discount offers. I've got a premium membership for two years, and will probably renew after that - I'm convinced already! A cleaner interface would be nice because it would make it easier to use the site.

Best,
Alex

jaredh
Been Around a Bit

Postby jaredh » August 25th, 2009 1:25 pm

lan_dawei wrote:
If you want to get rid of the e-mails, you can go to your profile and check off the e-mails which you no longer wish to receive.

This does not work!!

I have updated my profile the last 3 days and I am still getting the emails for both here and Japanesepod101.

I had to unsubscribe my email at both sites.
and by the way I am premium member at both sites and I am at both sites daily I don't need or want email on top of that. Just bad business to not respect the paying customers!!

david
Established Presence

Postby david » August 26th, 2009 11:40 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I think we've been able to make the transitions a bit more natural lately, although that's always something to work on. It's useful to be pointing out some of the advanced features in the podcasts though - more variety in the tips would be good though. :)

@jaradh - I've unsubscribed from some of the emails without a problem too. Can you doublecheck your settings and let me know if you really can't subscribe? If the system is giving you problems I'll file a support request for you. We clearly don't want to be spamming anyone inappropriately.

--david

jaredh
Been Around a Bit

Postby jaredh » August 26th, 2009 2:19 pm

@David

Below is the line from the un-subscribe email that I received.
because of your comments I decided to try and re-subscribe so I followed the link.

If this was a mistake, you can re-subscribe at:
http://chineseclass101.list-manage.com/ ... 84035f14f7

On the page it said ItalianPod101.com but I went ahead in put in my email in anyway but the confirmation email came from ItalianPod101.com so I did not confirm it.

I tried to find a place on Chineseclass101 to subscribe but I can not find it in the profile or anywhere. The only thing I found was the subscribe link on the blog page. I input my email there but I was not able choose my preferences. I did get a confirmation email from chineseclass101 that I did confirm. My guess is that the subscription list is managed at the list-manage.com site and I will not be able to change anything until I get an email from their servers with a new link.

We will see what happens

julesinchina2191
New in Town

Postby julesinchina2191 » September 25th, 2010 10:38 am

For what it is worth, I am not yet a paid up member but had all but made up my mind to become one. I probably will become one, but what stopped me was the overabundance of advertising. I object to being told what to buy and constantly reminded to do so. It is an insult to our intelligence. Look, you have a good site, so let the content speak for itself. We all get that the podcasts are the bait and that the other content is the hook. We also get that you need paid up members to continue to run the site. Your membership fees seem fair. The "in your face" advertising I submit does you more harm than good.

Return to “Learn Chinese Feature Requests”