a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Happy Semi-Birthday!

KanjiHanzi
New in Town

Happy Semi-Birthday!

Postby KanjiHanzi » November 19th, 2009 8:35 am

Hi, all!

If I am not totally wrong the birthday cake(s)

蛋糕*

should be in the oven by now. 6 months is not a bad time span to celebrate.

As a Founding Father from day one I would like to congratulate both ChineseClass101 and myself :D It was a bumpy ride the first couple of weeks, but by now I am very pleased and have really learned more than I expected.

I have used a rather tedious and time-consuming method here: I've added sounds to every hanzi, word, and sentence and added it to Anki and now have a CC101. Then there is no escape, but to repeat and repeat until you REALLY know the stuff. So far I’ve learned how to pronounce, write and use almost 1500 items, including 620 unique hanzi. And I still have many Elementary lessons waiting to be processed.

On my 6 month wish list:

1) Follow JapanesePod101 and make the VIDEO vocabulary expansion sentences into Expansion with **AUDIO**. The videos are cool, but nothing beats having new word in context with SOUND. (I saw you had added audio sentences to Video 1-4. Great!)

2) The audio quality in the expansion section could be improved. In general I find the audio levels – including the lessons – to be too low, and I usually have to normalize the files before putting the sounds into Anki.

Apart from that I really don’t have anything to suggest here.

Keep up the great work!

* I really love the Hanzi in dàngāo, almost as much as I love cakes

david
Established Presence

Postby david » November 19th, 2009 9:22 am

Awww... how sweet. :)

Always a good excuse for having cake. I think we'll have some really exciting news to share in January too. Thanks for the suggestions and we'll try to get those done. :)

Get 40% OFF
KanjiHanzi
New in Town

Postby KanjiHanzi » November 19th, 2009 10:17 am

david wrote:I think we'll have some really exciting news to share in January too.

January?!?! Don't spoil the party, David! Lower Intermediate Lessons? Else? Hint?

BTW.... No matter how much I love JapanesePod101 - and I really do - it can be extremely frustrating to navigate all the material there, and in particular if you try to organize your iTunes files with what's on the JP101 site. Despite many, many hours of 'investigation' I am still at loss how some lessons were published.

To keep the lesson numbers going after New Year would be very helpful, even if there is an added "Season 2/S2" to the lessons/files. I.e. "Elementary Lesson S1 #50 - Happy Ending" to "Elementary Lesson S2 #51 - New Beginning", Not perfect, but better, IMHO. "Elementary Lesson #51 (S2) - New Beginning" could avoid all confusion.

Perhaps not a big deal since you seem to have avoided the temptation to add sub-series with their own number.

david
Established Presence

Postby david » November 23rd, 2009 1:55 am

We should be starting our Intermediate series in January 2010, but that's not the surprise.

And it isn't a surprise unless we keep you guessing so.... mum's the word.

Thanks for the cake though. :)

KanjiHanzi
New in Town

Postby KanjiHanzi » December 4th, 2009 1:50 pm

david wrote:We should be starting our Intermediate series in January 2010, but that's not the surprise.

And it isn't a surprise unless we keep you guessing so.... mum's the word.

Thanks for the cake though. :)

嗯嗯嗯嗯嗯嗯嗯嗯.....
Finished guessing. No success. :?: :!: :?: :!:

Continuation here .... :arrow:

Return to “Learn Chinese Feature Requests”