Or sign up using Facebook

Hatred of Chengguan a Multi-Ethnic Phenomenon

david
Established Presence

Hatred of Chengguan a Multi-Ethnic Phenomenon

Postby david » June 21st, 2009 5:12 am

In turns funny, sad and unmistakably Chinese. Translated by ChinaSMACK:

http://www.chinasmack.com/pictures/hui- ... chengguan/

Honestly, has anyone here *ever* had a GOOD experience with a Chengguan?

paglino9
Been Around a Bit

Postby paglino9 » June 23rd, 2009 7:04 am

Chengguan are now trying new tactics. The DEATH STARE!!!!

http://www.danwei.org/front_page_of_the ... actics.php

There is no known defenses against the mass use "Evil Eye"

Also, Chengguan crackdowns in Beijing last summer before the Olympics were pretty common. Second night in Beijing I witnessed a hard crackdown by chengguans on a middle aged lady. They smacked her around quite good.

At the time this took place I was getting out of a taxi in Wudaokou with a beer in hand. I thought the police were coming for me. Turns out they just wanted to confiscate the lady's wide variety of socks. And you know the chengguans are all wearing those "hello kitty" shanzhai socks down at the station.

Get 35% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
david
Established Presence

Postby david » June 24th, 2009 8:20 pm

Nice link to the death-stare. And pity about that woman. I used to buy my socks from a lady who sold them on the overpass of an eight lane road I'd cross on my way to work and have a fondness for the grey-market sock sellers. I actually bought a pair of cat socks from her once too. No guilt about it: they were cheap.

Now that I think of it, the elevated bridge may have been a chengguan-avoidance strategy. No-one really likes to cross those things if they don't have to. And maybe Chengguan hate taking the stairs as much as everyone else.

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Chinese”