Start Learning Chinese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Movie/beijinghua questions

sageres4913
New in Town

Movie/beijinghua questions

Postby sageres4913 » December 21st, 2012 8:51 pm

Hallo, this is regards some movie vocab...possibly some beijinghua... 1st: what is the meaning of 八道? as in 谁又在这瞎说八道啊. 2nd...this 非得。。。不 行/可 pattern thingy what exactly is it doing. and lastly does anyone know the meaning of 潮想, it was in the subtitles of a movie, at first i thought it was a typo but im not sure and its not in any dictionaries...Thanku :mrgreen:

community.chinese
New in Town

Re: Movie/beijinghua questions

Postby community.chinese » January 21st, 2013 5:05 am

To answer your questions:

1 瞎说八道 is one phrase. You can also say 胡说八道. It means to talk nonsense.

2 非...不行/可 is the pattern. It means it has to be sb or sth, and others doesn't work. For example, 这个工作非他不可. It has to be him to do this job.

3 I have no idea. Can you give me the whole sentence please?

Echo
Team ChineseClass101.com

Get 40% OFF
rebecca.hyfu_43547
New in Town

Re: Movie/beijinghua questions

Postby rebecca.hyfu_43547 » March 22nd, 2014 6:34 pm

I am trying to guess the meaning of "潮想" as well. If you can give us the context or the whole sentence of the subtitle, we may have a clue. There are 3 possibilities:
1) a new word. Youngsters are fond of making new words especially online. It's part of Chinese Internet culture.
2) wrong word. Since there is no space between words in Chinese script, I assume it is possible that there are actually two word, named A and B and you take 潮from word A and 想from word B, therefore "潮想” is not a word at all!
3) it might be a person's first name.

I love learning language by watching movies and shows too! haha~~~

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Chinese”