a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Names In Chinese!^^

Ulver_684
New in Town

Names In Chinese!^^

Postby Ulver_684 » May 19th, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi everyone!

I would like to know my name in Chinese? who is written? and who is pronounce?
My name is Sindy Rodriguez Cisneros, anyone help out please. You can also request your name here if you wish! 8)
1UP Page: http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5687701
LiveJournal: http://Ulver_684.livejournal.com
Never Say Never 'You'll Regret It' S_R_C

maxiewawa
Been Around a Bit

Postby maxiewawa » May 19th, 2009 9:30 pm

Hi Sindy. Estar Mexicana, right?

Well firstly I can tell you that the Chinese system is most similar to that that English speakers use: a child will take its fathers surname, and the parents come up with a given name together. So unlike you the child will have two names, a given name and it's father's surname. That's different to South America right?

This is that child's name for life. Women don't take their husband's surname. I don't think this is a sign of the emancipation of Chinese women, as it is in the Anglophone world it's just how it's always been!

Given names are usually one or two Hanzi, and surnames are usually one or two Hanzi characters. Don't forget that names are written without spaces, with family name first.

Whenever foreigners take Chinese names it's a little tricky.

We can give you a Chinese pronounciatipn of your name. This will be just like saying your name with a Chinese accent: Xin-di Luo-de-li-jie-si.

We can give you a shorter version of the above: Luo Xin-di or just Luo Xin.

Because both of these options reflect the SOUND of your name Characters are chosen arbitrarily.

We can just give you a new name thy might reflect re meaning of your name or your personality.

Get 40% OFF
maxiewawa
Been Around a Bit

Postby maxiewawa » May 19th, 2009 9:35 pm

Hey I am typing this on my iPod so sorry if any of it has back grammar or other problems. I just realistd I didn't write any hanzi in the above post!

You can take the name 新地 罗德力借丝 or maybe 罗新地 or perhaps the most catchy 罗新!

Or, as I said, we can come up with a completely new name.

vahid
New in Town

Postby vahid » May 19th, 2009 11:54 pm

Hi maxiewawa,

I really did "narihodo"( learned a lot), xiè xie nǐ.

My first(Given name) is "Vahid" and a person I know from Hong Kong came up with this:
"華喜迪". Well the the middle word sounds like "he" and it is closest he could come up with instead of "hi". I wonder what are your thoughts on that. I'll much appreciate it.

zàijiàn
Vahid

maxiewawa
Been Around a Bit

Postby maxiewawa » May 20th, 2009 4:23 am

Hi Vahid!

It seems that your fiend has taken the first option, by taking your name and sounding it out in a Chinese way.

But what he's written doesn't sound much like "Vahid" though, at least not how I expect "Vahid" to sound like.

You are unlucky because "Va" and "hi" are two sounds that aren't in Chinese, I suppose that 华喜迪 are as close an approximation that you are going to get to "Vahid".

vipu
New in Town

Postby vipu » May 20th, 2009 7:58 pm

Hey everyone,

Just to add, i think it should be made aware that dialect plays a huge part in determining a name.

e.g the sound 'Va' could be 花 in cantonese as it would be sounded 'fa'
however in mandarin the same word would be pronounced 'hua'.

:)

Ulver_684
New in Town

Postby Ulver_684 » May 24th, 2009 8:33 pm

maxiewawa wrote:Hi Sindy. Estar Mexicana, right?

Well firstly I can tell you that the Chinese system is most similar to that that English speakers use: a child will take its fathers surname, and the parents come up with a given name together. So unlike you the child will have two names, a given name and it's father's surname. That's different to South America right?

This is that child's name for life. Women don't take their husband's surname. I don't think this is a sign of the emancipation of Chinese women, as it is in the Anglophone world it's just how it's always been!

Given names are usually one or two Hanzi, and surnames are usually one or two Hanzi characters. Don't forget that names are written without spaces, with family name first.

Whenever foreigners take Chinese names it's a little tricky.

We can give you a Chinese pronounciatipn of your name. This will be just like saying your name with a Chinese accent: Xin-di Luo-de-li-jie-si.

We can give you a shorter version of the above: Luo Xin-di or just Luo Xin.

Because both of these options reflect the SOUND of your name Characters are chosen arbitrarily.

We can just give you a new name thy might reflect re meaning of your name or your personality.

Maxiewawa! :wink:

Thank you for your responce! I was asking about my name in Chinese because I wanted to have my Chinese name posted in the signature just like I have in Japanesepod101 and Koreanclass101. I want my name Sindy translate only into Chinese and I'm not sure if you gave it to me or not so can you clarify that or can someone else help me out please.

bokane
New in Town

Postby bokane » May 28th, 2009 7:57 am

Hi maxiewawa -- 華喜迪 actually does sound a little bit more like 'Vahid' in Cantonese, where 喜 is read as 'héi,' and 華 is read as 'wàh.'

Sindy -- A friend of mine here is named Cindy, and she uses the Chinese name 辛迪, pronounced 'Xīndí.' You could try using this, if you like. That said, some people decide ultimately to go with Chinese names that don't have anything to do with their real names, since for some names (like 'Vahid,' or 'Brendan' for that matter) a graceful transliteration isn't very easy.

Bouks
New in Town

Postby Bouks » May 28th, 2009 5:07 pm

I was once told by a native Cantonese speaker that my first name (Julia) has the word "pig" in it :cry:

Can we choose our own names, or is it more customary to have people who know and love me choose a name that seems to fit me personally? I have looked on Chinese girls' names lists and found a couple that I really like, in both sound and meaning.

The tricky part is finding Chinese people who already know and love me... :?

maxiewawa
Been Around a Bit

Postby maxiewawa » May 28th, 2009 11:30 pm

Bouks, she's saying that when you sound out "Julia" in Chinese the first syllable is the same as "pig".

I'd suggest you get someone else to give you a name. Do you know anyone who might be able to?

Bouks
New in Town

Postby Bouks » May 29th, 2009 3:13 pm

Hmmm I have a grad school classmate who could, but I think she is away for the summer. In the meantime, I will work through the Hanzi First 100 Rote Memorization Boot Camp; then I will have earned the name as a reward for hard work ;)

shanshanchua
Been Around a Bit

Postby shanshanchua » May 30th, 2009 7:27 am

Bouks: actually there are many chinese characters that share the same sound. For example, for "Julia", the usual transliteration into Chinese is "Zhu Li Ya". The first character "Zhu" can mean "pig" (猪), but it can also mean "pearl" (珠). :D

Ulver_684
New in Town

Postby Ulver_684 » May 31st, 2009 9:26 pm

bokane wrote:Sindy -- A friend of mine here is named Cindy, and she uses the Chinese name 辛迪, pronounced 'Xīndí.' You could try using this, if you like. That said, some people decide ultimately to go with Chinese names that don't have anything to do with their real names, since for some names (like 'Vahid,' or 'Brendan' for that matter) a graceful transliteration isn't very easy.

Bokane! :wink:

Thank you very much for giving me my name in Chinese! This is what I was wanted now all I need is to make it like signature too just like I have it in JP101 and KC101. I need someone to help me out doing my signature just like I have it in both sites please let me know if your interested by sending me a PM or e-mail at
! :D

Here is a sample of how I want my name to be but in Chinese:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/U ... panese.png

david
Established Presence

Postby david » June 1st, 2009 3:22 am

Brendan just doesn't want people to start calling him Bulandeng.... ;)

Bouks
New in Town

Postby Bouks » June 5th, 2009 6:47 pm

Shan, thank you - but I think I'll go for something different ;)

I found this one on a child naming site:
XIULAN (秀兰): Chinese name meaning "beautiful/elegant orchid."

How would this be? (And what are the tones?) It's loosely similar in pronunciation to my name, and a beautiful meaning.

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Chinese”