Start Learning Chinese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Names In Chinese!^^

shanshanchua
Been Around a Bit

Postby shanshanchua » June 6th, 2009 6:11 am

Bouks - the tones are Xiu4 Lan2.
The name (to me at least) is quite feminine, and brings to mind someone who is virtuous and gentle.

This used to be quite a popular name, I would say, 10-20 years ago? I think (this is just an observation/guess, not based on any study!) that in recent years though, that people tend to give their children more "assertive-sounding" names..

It would be interesting to hear from someone in China on naming trends in the country..

GreenAirplane
New in Town

Postby GreenAirplane » June 6th, 2009 3:31 pm

a bit off topic, what would my nickname look like in Chinese? I'd like a translation, not transliteration. I always translate it to any language I learn. It's 緑の飛行機 in Japanese, so at least the characters could be similar :)

Get 40% OFF
shanshanchua
Been Around a Bit

Postby shanshanchua » June 7th, 2009 2:59 pm

Green Airplane: in Chinese it would be 绿色的飞机。 Or it can be simplified further to just 绿飞机。 :D

Bouks
New in Town

Postby Bouks » June 8th, 2009 5:56 am

Shan: Thank you for letting me know that! It's so hard to tell what "impact" a name has on people. I'm not sure "gentle" is a good way to describe me :lol:

A friend from Malaysia tried to translate my name without the "pig"-resembling character:

茱莉雅

zhu1 li4 ya3

Meaning: cornelian cherry jasmine elegant

What do you think of that? I think it's very... ikebana :lol:

shanshanchua
Been Around a Bit

Postby shanshanchua » June 9th, 2009 10:50 am

Bouks: it works well as a transliteration, but I'm not sure many people will immediately associate that name with its intended meaning of "cornelian cherry jasmine elegant"! :D

holdfast
New in Town

Postby holdfast » June 13th, 2009 6:08 am

wow! hello fellow kclassers! (this is my first post here) there are so many of us!

anyway.. julia - i find it quite hilarious that we have been discussing korean names for the past week and i just now came across this post of yours. hehe...

anyway.. i was just wondering if anyone could tell me if my korean name works in chinese too? it's: 愛利 - i think it's ai(4)li(4). does it sound like an actual girls name? as far as i can tell it doesn't mean anything strange.... but please tell me :)

Bouks
New in Town

Postby Bouks » June 13th, 2009 12:50 pm

Haha welcome, Emily! You caught me trying to secure multiple identities with which to do untold evil :twisted:

Actually, should I see if there's an acceptable Chinese equivalent for my Korean name, while we're on the subject? It's Jin Kyeong 진경.

shanshanchua
Been Around a Bit

Postby shanshanchua » June 14th, 2009 4:42 pm

Emily, 爱利 is definitely a girl's name. 爱 means love, 利 has various meanings when used together with different characters, but is not very commonly used in names. The characters 丽 or 莉 (which sound the same as 利), are more commonly used in girls' names. The first means pretty/beautiful and the second is used in the word for "jasmine" (茉莉).

Bouks: do you know the Hanja for 진경?

holdfast
New in Town

Postby holdfast » June 14th, 2009 11:29 pm

shanshanchua wrote:Emily, 爱利 is definitely a girl's name. 爱 means love, 利 has various meanings when used together with different characters, but is not very commonly used in names. The characters 丽 or 莉 (which sound the same as 利), are more commonly used in girls' names. The first means pretty/beautiful and the second is used in the word for "jasmine" (茉莉).

thanks! i think 爱莉 will work. i can't use 丽 because it's 려 in korean, not 리 (my korean name is 애리). but 莉 is still 리 and that's an interesting meaning as well. 利 in korean means 유익하다 so it was kind of a strange character to pick anyway. i like your suggestion even better ^^

lian
New in Town

Postby lian » October 29th, 2009 11:35 pm

Hi!
This is my first post, just joined this site today, cant wait to start learning Chinese!!
My name is Lian, and I've been told its a Chinese name- is this true? If so id love to know how its pronounced and what it means?
Thanks a million!

shanshanchua
Been Around a Bit

Postby shanshanchua » October 30th, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi Lian! Which country are you from?

There are quite a few Chinese characters with the pinyin of "lian". One common character used in names means lotus (as in the flower). It sounds like "lee-ann" pronounced quickly as one word instead of two.

lian
New in Town

Postby lian » October 30th, 2009 7:54 pm

hi!
thanks for your reply! aw i like lotus it sounds pretty!
I'm from Ireland :) so it's a very unusual name over here!
xxx

jctalker1
New in Town

Postby jctalker1 » November 2nd, 2009 3:58 am

Is there a Chinese name for John? I was curious, since in Spanish it's commonly know as Juan... 8)

lan_dawei
Established Presence

Postby lan_dawei » November 2nd, 2009 4:18 am

jctalker1

The Chinese version of John is 約翰 yuēhàn which sounds
like "Johan".
下次再见
蓝大卫
www.mychinaconnection.com

tigerlover2004
New in Town

Postby tigerlover2004 » March 15th, 2010 11:49 pm

Haha, so I'm not the only one from KC101 who decided to learn come here also.

Anyway, she told me my Korean name is 카시, which is familiar to me, since my English name is often mistaken for Casey. So far most of my Korean pen pals don't want to use the accent because they like the sound of Cassie.

So I have a few questions with my name here. First, I know my name, which is a variation of Kathrine, means Pure.

I want to go with a Chinese equivalent of Cassie, but I want to maintain the meaning. My first and middle name combined mean "pure lake" or "white water fall," though it was totally unintentional, lol. When it comes down to it, I'd sooner pick meaning over the sound. I feel it would better fit culturally.

I hope people still read this... ^^;

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Chinese”