a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Intro to Chinese Pop

gillesvdp
New in Town

Intro to Chinese Pop

Postby gillesvdp » May 20th, 2009 12:17 pm

你好!

A little over 3 weeks ago I was in Shanghai (after you left Max, unfortunately) and at the airport I decided to bring a bit of Chinese pop home. Now, I was in front of a display of CD boxes all in Chinese so I chose this CD because (1) the title was in French, and (2) the lady was pretty. :)

Since I came back, I have been playing this CD over and over many many times..

My little guess is that these are love songs (ok not too hard to guess because of the sound of those songs haha).

But I actually wonder if any of you have already listened to her songs? and by any chance if any of you have the CD too?
I like it very much, it fits very well with the type of music that I like. Would you have any other recommendation in terms of Chinese pop?

Last edited by gillesvdp on May 20th, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david
Established Presence

Postby david » May 20th, 2009 7:19 pm

Never heard of this girl before, but I'll definitely check her out. My personal favorite Chinese pop singer has to be Wang Fei (王菲), if only because her 将爱 is a phenomenal album.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODYyMzc4NDQ=.html

Pu Shu (朴树) would be my pick among the men, even if he mostly does music for advertisements these days.

Get 35% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
Foozle
New in Town

Postby Foozle » May 21st, 2009 5:57 am

gillesvdp

I have her CD's as well. She is quite popular in Taiwan. If you like her singing then try Stefanie Sun or Sun Yan Zi (her Chinese name) she is from Singapore. Most likely she will have a new CD out soon as she is on tour.

Frank
New in Town

Postby Frank » May 21st, 2009 7:04 am

gillesvdp - I did almost the same thing you did on my first trip here. I bought a handful of CDs in the airport and played them until they melted. I'm a pop junkie, so I found that I really liked folks like S.H.E. and Wang Lee Hom. Your mileage may vary. :)

zhouli
New in Town

Postby zhouli » May 22nd, 2009 7:17 am

i found Jay Chow is great with wonderful music. but he's hard for us to understand at the very beginning. 8)

kelisi
New in Town

Postby kelisi » June 15th, 2009 9:44 pm

Hm..I want to know some Chinese pop songs..my friends though has told me a lot, leaving me wanting more lol, where can i find or buy them??

jaredh
Been Around a Bit

Postby jaredh » June 16th, 2009 10:34 am

kashby
New in Town

Chinese Music

Postby kashby » June 21st, 2009 1:29 pm

While I find most Chinese and Canto pop as vapid and insipid as the American versions (Miley Cyrus, etc) I have found a few interesting folk and rock bands that I like. Hanggai takes Mongolian folk songs with a high level of professionalism and musicianship. You can learn about them at http://www.myspace.com/hanggaiband But there are other bands, mostly from Beijing that are fun to listen to - Buyi Band and P.K. 14. The Shanghai Restoration Project has been making remarkable electronic music for years and now they have teamed up with American Folk singer Abigail Washburn on an earthquake relief project called afterquakemusic. You can learn about their work and hear some of the music and see some very touching videos at their website - http://www.afterquakemusic.com/index.php This is one of the most remarkable combinations of western and Chinese music that I have ever heard - I'm sure you will enjoy it and be as touched by it as I was. [/url]

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Chinese”