are the verbs for 'want' interchangeable? for example:

你想吃什么吗?

vs.

我要吃什么吗?

thanks in advance for any help!

Psy
New in Town

Postby Psy » June 10th, 2009 7:11 pm

Feel free to correct me on this, but my understanding is that 想 is a politer version "I would like" of 要's "I want." Each of the words also do double duty, as in 想 can also mean "to think" (I think that...) and 要 also presents a pseudo-future tense "going to."

That's all I know so far!

Get 35% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
spoofboy7
New in Town

Postby spoofboy7 » June 10th, 2009 7:25 pm

thanks for the reply Psy!

your explanation makes sense to me...i keep using the wrong one when i listen to the podcasts and try to pre-translate their english sentence before they give the "official" translation. i think they use "i want.." in their english translations when referring to both.

thanks again!

bchach08
New in Town

Postby bchach08 » June 10th, 2009 8:20 pm

Psy is pretty much right on. From what I have experienced, 想 is used to emphasize that you are think of doing something.

Spoofboy, in your example, "你想吃什么?” vs. “你要吃什么?”, you are saying the same thing where both 想 and 要 are used the same exact way. Both mean, "what do you want to eat?" or "what are you thinking about eating?".

Now, 想, is also used to say “我想吃饭”, stressing that you are hungry and want to eat. Often times, 要 sounds much harsher than 想. Saying “我要吃饭”, is almost like telling somebody you need to eat now and expect to do so.

The two are also very different in that 想 can mean "think" and 要 always is pretty much only used to show a want or need. For instance; “你想什么呢?” means "what are you thinking?", whereas “你要什么呢?” means "what do you want?"

Hope this is right, and hope it helps.

maxiewawa
Been Around a Bit

Postby maxiewawa » June 11th, 2009 1:08 am

Yup! Everything everyone else said seems pretty correct to me.

I just want to point out something that no one else caught though, that there shouldn't be a 吗 on the end of either sentence.

bchach08 didn't mention it; in his/her corrected sentence it isn't present though, which is how it should be.

Since there is an interrogative in the sentence (什么) you don't put the 吗 on the end.

spoofboy7
New in Town

Postby spoofboy7 » June 12th, 2009 4:40 am

thanks everyone for your insights. with your help, i think i've come to grasp the differences.

bchach08: thanks for your examples. it definitely helps to clarify the difference.

maxiewawa: i think you're correct - in the context of my example sentences, 吗 wasn't needed. however, i have heard chinese people use 吗 even with an interrogative in the sentence...

From my understanding, the difference is subtle:

你想吃什么?
What do you want to eat.

你想吃什么吗?
Do you want to eat anything?

However, I might be wrong. What are your thoughts?

maxiewawa
Been Around a Bit

Postby maxiewawa » June 13th, 2009 7:01 am

You're right spoofboy!!

Sorry, I didn't want to complicate the matter by going that far!

But that's exactly right.

Sorry!

spoofboy7
New in Town

Postby spoofboy7 » June 15th, 2009 9:47 pm

glad that we are in agreement maxiewawa!

thanks everyone!

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Chinese”