Start Learning Chinese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Chinese humour ?

bigal
Been Around a Bit

Chinese humour ?

Postby bigal » November 6th, 2010 2:57 am

How about a lesson on chinese humor or the different types/regional differences ?

lan_dawei
Established Presence

Postby lan_dawei » November 8th, 2010 5:15 pm

I like the idea. I believe one form of Chinese comedy 相声 (xiàngsheng) would be an interesting Elementary or Intermediate lesson topic.

I make passing reference to it in one of my blogs:
http://mychinaconnection.com/american-c ... nock-jokes

so I would like to know more.
下次再见
蓝大卫
www.mychinaconnection.com

Get 40% OFF
jane1000288416
Been Around a Bit

Postby jane1000288416 » November 10th, 2010 2:24 am

Hi guys,
Thanks for the fantastic idea. I'll definitely forward this to the rest of the team. And 大卫, you are right, 中国相声 is probably the oldest form of Chinese humor. But because it requires a great understanding of local dialect, idiom even Chinese opera, it is going to be a big challenge for Chinese language learners to study. However, maybe we could instead introduce some often used Chinese idioms which some of them are quite humorous to our listeners.
For example, 八寸脚穿七寸鞋——别扭 bā cùn jiǎo chuān qī cùn xié ----bièniu .
The first part means "a 8 inch foot wears 7 inch shoes", the second part usually indicate a result with a simple phrase, which in this case is "uncomfortable".
So people sometimes use this in their conversation. If they want to say something looks or feels very uncomfortable, they might say "这真是八寸脚穿七寸鞋" (this is really....), then the other person would understand what he meant.
A lot of idioms like this are constantly being used in 相声.
I found that I tend to turn simple questions into long argument. Does it make sense?

Jane

bigal
Been Around a Bit

Postby bigal » November 10th, 2010 7:01 am

It makes sense . A lesson or few on idioms would be very good.

Don't know if you'd call it humour (maybe regional humour ?)
but have heard more than a few "jokes" based on regional differences(imagined and real) in China , especially from Cantonese about Beijing people , Shanghainese about Beijingers and Beijing people about southerners etc

Maybe material for a lesson on Chinese stereotypes ?

rebecca.hyfu_43547
New in Town

Re: Chinese humour ?

Postby rebecca.hyfu_43547 » March 22nd, 2014 6:42 pm

love the idea. Humor is really hard to cross culture but we'd love to see a "老外" telling or understanding Chinese joke!

Return to “Chinese Lesson Suggestions”